ac.care is a non-government organisation (NGO) with charitable status, created by country people for country people. The organisation started in 1986 because there was no teenage foster care service in Mount Gambier, South Australia.
We have a focus on early intervention and prevention services and our mission is for all country people to have a safe home, enough money to live on and strong, positive relationships. Our core activities include the recruitment and support of foster carers, supports for people experiencing homelessness, Aboriginal services, family relationships, counselling, financial inclusion and community adult education.
Today we provide community services to the South Australian country communities of the Adelaide Hills, Limestone Coast, Murraylands and Riverland.
The work of ac.care includes:
- Aboriginal services
- Community Centres in Millicent and Mount Gambier
- Emergency Relief
- Family Relationship Centre in Mount Gambier
- Family support/counselling services
- Financial counselling/low interest loans
- Foster care recruitment and support
- Therapeutic Strength Based Care homes for children and young people who are waiting for foster care placements
We work in our communities and with each other to these values